Name: Connor Norton
Hometown: Virginia Beach
- President of ODU Out Student Alliance 2011 – 2013 (Founder of ODU PrideFest, Lead Researcher and Propose of Gender-Inclusive Housing Proposal, Gay-Cultural Studies Advisory Board)
- Hampton Roads Pride Fundraising Committee (2010 – 2011)
- Hampton Roads PrideFest Volunteer (2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015)
- Recipient of Hampton Roads Pride Scholarship (2011)
- Founder of Reel it Out Queer Film Festival of Hampton Roads (2014 – 2015)
- Founder and Artistic Director of The Orange Ave Project (2016 – Present)
- Recipient if 2012 ‘Spirit of Matthew Shepard Award’
- Bachelor of Arts in Women & Gender Theory with a minor in Business Administration
Why I want to serve on Hampton Roads Pride Board:
I’m not trying to be the president. I’m not trying to be the face. I’m trying to be the change I’ve been waiting for.
When you aren’t happy with the status quo, when you see potential for greatness, you can’t sit back and complain or wish for what could be. You have to make it possible.
I want to see an intersectional and engaged service organization that provides year around volunteer opportunities for LGBTQ individuals, that raises money for other causes and needs in our community besides PrideFest, and that provides opportunities for other ideas to be funded, supported, and brought to Hampton Roads.
Pride can only exist if we have something to be proud of, and if elected I want to increase volunteer engagement, diversify our membership, and fund five new programs or initiatives that are completely grass roots organized. Then we’ll have something to really celebrate–a community building a bigger and better Hampton Roads.