OutWire757 is growing and is seeking fun, talented people (we know you’re out there) as interns and to assist with sales to produce content and help with continue expansion as Hampton Roads’ premiere source for local and regional news, lifestyle and events for the LGBTQ community.
When we started our the website two years ago, we did not expect the fantastic response from the community, whose support made expansion into community events and print publications such as OutLife757 magazine and the newly published OutGuide757 a possibility.
To continue growing and serving the community, we are seeking intern(s) to create dynamic content and a regional Sales Director to promote our online and print products.
Interested? Details for each position are detailed below. Please send all resumes/inquiries about either position to Andrew Roberts via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Content Creation Internships
We have openings for creative hard-working people who are passionate about local, national and international LGBTQ issues and lifestyle. They are willing to learn and develop concrete skills as content providers for Coastal Virginia’s professional LGBTQ blog and magazine. This is an unpaid internship. However, we are happy to explore working with area schools to help obtain college credit, if possible.
- Writers will have journalistic experience in one or more of the following areas: straight news, reviews, personality profiles and opinion.
- Photographers and videographers will have experience in shooting people, places and events with a creative and journalistic eye.
- Social media savvy individuals encouraged to apply
- Commit to at least one assignment every two weeks and a monthly writer’s meeting.
- Be self-motivated with the ability work independently.
- Be our eyes and ears for story ideas independently of editor assignments.
- Have one or more of the following: laptop, digital camera, digital voice recorder or smart phone.
- Have reliable transportation.
- Interviewing. You will be speaking to many different people about a number of topics.
- Creating content. In addition to articles and multi-media, positions are also available maintaining our ongoing content areas (events calendar, business directory, advertising placement, email newsletter, etc.)
- Pitching stories. We want you to have your own voice and will work with you to develop content in your primary areas of interest.
- Writing/reporting experience in a variety of genres.
- Portfolio-building writing samples with your byline.
- The independence to cover LGBTQ-related stories and issues of interest to you.
- Affiliation with an independent LGBTQ publication in a medium market town.
- WordPress content management system experience.
- Reporter-level credentials and access to local news, arts and other events
What we need from you:
- Your current resume
- A cover letter tooting your own horn.
- One short writing sample (links to online works are acceptable)
Regional Sales Director
OutWire757 is looking for a charismatic, self-motivated and experienced sales director for the central coast to take our established LGBTQ web site, magazine, directory, and other products to a new level of excellence. Our customers are business professionals that cater to and welcome LGBTQ consumers in Coastal Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina. The selected candidate will be the sole representative of our products in our markets.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Track record of successful print and online advertising, and event sponsorship sales
- Basic knowledge of print and new media development and production processes
- Internet and computer savvy
- The ability to self-motivate and work independently
- Exceptional human relations, listening and customer service skills and ability to present a professional image
- Reliable transportation
OutWire757 seeks diversity, LGBTQ and minority students are very much encouraged to apply. However, if you are not a member of the LGBTQ community, that does not disqualify anyone from applying and hope that you consider yourself a strong ally.