Welcome Back Students!
OutWire757 continues to grow and we are seeking fun, talented people (we know you’re out there) as interns that will make positive contributions to as Hampton Roads’ premiere source for local and regional news, lifestyle and events for the LGBTQ community.
When we started our the website two years ago, we did not expect the fantastic response from the community, whose support made expansion into community events and print publications such as OutLife757 magazine, OutGuide757 and the upcoming SNAP! student magazine a possibility.
Our current intern Sarah developed the concept for SNAP! and edited the first issue that will be released next week and at the OutWork757 Expo on September 15. Whether your interest(s) is photography, writing (news, features, poetry or commentary) or vidoegraphy, we want to cultivate your talent, creativity, ideas and give you a platform.
Interested? Want to learn more about who we are and how we work? Check out the position details below.
Content Creation Internships
We have openings for creative hard-working people who are passionate about local, national and international LGBTQ issues and lifestyle. They are willing to learn and develop concrete skills as content providers for Coastal Virginia’s professional LGBTQ blog and magazine. This is an unpaid internship. However, we are happy to explore working with area schools to help obtain college credit, if possible.
- Writers will have journalistic experience in one or more of the following areas: straight news, reviews, personality profiles and opinion
- Photographers and videographers will have experience in shooting people, places and events with a creative and journalistic eye.
- Social media savvy individuals encouraged to apply.
- Commit to at least one assignment every two weeks and a monthly writer’s meeting.
- Be self-motivated with the ability work independently.
- Be our eyes and ears for story ideas independently of editor assignments.
- Have one or more of the following: laptop, digital camera, digital voice recorder or smart phone.
- Have reliable transportation. (This is not a deal killer.)
- Interviewing. You will be speaking to many different people about a number of topics.
- Creating content. In addition to articles and multi-media, positions are also available maintaining our ongoing content areas (events calendar, business directory, advertising placement, email newsletter, etc.)
- Pitching stories. We want you to have your own voice and will work with you to develop content in your primary areas of interest.
- Writing/reporting experience in a variety of genres.
- Portfolio-building writing samples with your byline.
- The independence to cover LGBTQ-related stories and issues of interest to you.
- Affiliation with an independent LGBTQ publication in a medium market town.
- WordPress content management system experience.
- Reporter-level credentials and access to local news, arts and other events.
- Meet and network with newsmakers and leaders from throughout the community.
What we need from you:
- Your current resume
- A cover letter tooting your own horn.
- One short writing sample (links to online works are acceptable)
Please send all resumes/inquiries about either position to Andrew Roberts via email to firstname.lastname@example.org