Do you or do you know someone with the education, experience and passion for service? Our friends at the LGBT Life Center are currently seeking a Chief Financial Officer. As you may know, the LGBT Life Cente
r serves coastal Virginia with a budget of $8 million+ from a diverse sources such as federal, state and local grants, donor contributions, third party insurance billing and earned program revenue.
Reporting to the CEO, Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for accurate and timely financial management and for smooth administration of agency’s office, human resources, IT and contracting functions. The LGBT Life Center is seeking a hands-on, high-energy leader who is detail-oriented and strategic, able to multi-task and manages the needs of a busy non-profit agency. The successful candidate will provide the leadership team with financial reports and forecasts to inform strategy and will improve and scale systems and processes for greater effectiveness.
The CFO is a member of the senior executive management team. They will handle the finance, treasury, accounting, tax, contract compliance, reporting, audit, and risk management and administration functions, and will engage with the Board of Directors. As the organization’s scope and budget continues to grow, the CFO is to shape the evolution of his/her functions, including through appropriate support structures.
Education and Experience Candidates with CPA designations are preferred. MBA is also a preference. The successful employee will have a minimum Bachelor’s Degree in finance or accounting, or other directly related degree. They will have at least 10 years of overall professional experience and 5 years in an executive leadership position, with broad financial and operations management experience. Demonstrated experience in the development and administration of budgets, preparation of financial statements and familiarity with A-133 audits.
Employee must be able to translate financial concepts—and effectively collaborate with—programmatic and development staff members who may not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of complex budgets and financial reporting systems.
- Knowledge of non-profit management and operations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to apply agency, state, and federal rules to specific problems to produce valid answers.
- Ability to see details at close range (within a few feet).
- Abstract reasoning and analytical skills.
- Superior computer skills and knowledg
Must possess keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills that support and enable sound decision making. Individual should have knowledge of complex budgets and financial reporting systems. Supervisory experience including strong leadership skills, conflict resolution skills and ability to motivate and retain a high performing staff.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, e-mail, databases, spreadsheets and the use of Financial Edge accounting software; ability to produce financial reports and projections using cost accounting.
- Responsible stewardship of the organization’s resources
- Oversee the management and maintenance of all finance and accounting systems
- Manage the organization’s banking and fiduciary relationships, including treasury services, investments, retirement funds, and line of credit under the guidance of the Finance Committee
- Provide risk management oversight and maintain all essential insurance coverages, including D & O and general liability
- Oversee accounting inputs and monthly bank reconciliations
- Review payroll entries
- Supervise the evaluation, upgrade, and documentation of internal controls
- Perform and/or oversee AP and cash receipt processes, ensuring the appropriate financial controls are maintained
- Act as financial fiduciary for LGBT Life Center at all times.
- Communicate with investment advisors to ensure compliance with investment policy and reporting.
- Create income revenue generating strategies to support the programmatic efforts of the agency, including healthcare administration, third party billing, and management of contractual services.
Financial Analysis, Budgeting and Forecasting
- Prepare and present monthly financial budgeting reports including monthly profit and loss by division, forecast vs budget by division and cash flow.
- Prepare detailed reporting packages for the Finance and Audit Committees of the Board of Directors.
- Meet with program directors/managers to review financial performance, variance from budget and financial management of grants
- Work with program leadership to develop detailed budgets for funding proposals.
Reporting & Compliance
- Coordinate the preparation and filing of required government and funder reports
- Ensure SOX compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Clear understanding and implementation of A-133 accounting standards
- Supervise the completion of all tax filings, including 990 reporting
- Ensure compliance with required policies, e.g. conflict of interest, whistleblower, etc.
- Manage the relationship with the outside accounting firm for the annual A-133 audit.
- Oversee outside vendor contracts; make recommendations as necessary on systems upgrades
- Ensure proper handling of employment maters including payroll, vacation and health benefits, communications around open enrollment, and personnel changes
- Manage relationship with 340B provider
- Manage relationship with insurance broker and ensure adequate insurance coverage
- Review and serve as administrative contact for vendor contracts
- Oversee all areas of office management, including supplies and equipment
Seeking a CFO with the following attributes:
- Solid knowledge of accounting principles and ability to lead the financial health of the agency.
- Willingness to be part of a team that is committed to community service and changing lives.
- Experience running a fast-paced, efficient office
- Willingness to work hard and unflappability in the face of competing demands
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to recommend and manage change.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender identities, socio-economic backgrounds, religions, ages, etc.
- Experience working with the LGBT community and familiarity with issues of particular relevance to LGBT people
- Have passion for the Center’s work and its mission to make the world a better place for LGBT people and people living with HIV/AIDS.
LGBT Life Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
People of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply.
Please send resumes to email@example.com No phone calls please. A resume with cover letter will be accepted until position is filled.