Norfolk resident and Navy veteran Nicole Carry was appointed to Virginia Council on Women by Governor Ralph Northam. Carry is a Senior Engineer Lead at ADP and has served on the Norfolk City Council and was a past candidate for the Norfolk City School Board. Carry also serves on the Veterans Services Foundation Board of Trustees.
According to its website, the Virginia Council on Women is tasked to identify ways in which women can reach their full potential. The Council consists of 18 members from around the state, who are appointed by the Governor, as well as one of the Governor’s Secretaries. Over the past several years, the Council has focused its efforts on engaging and empowering women through STEM, healthcare, and convening.
THE COUNCIL HAS THE POWERS AND DUTIES TO:
- Determine the studies and research to be conducted by the Council;
- Collect and disseminate information regarding the status of women in the Commonwealth and the nation;
- Advise the Governor, General Assembly and the Governor’s Secretaries on matters pertaining to women in the Commonwealth and the nation;
- Establish and award scholarships pursuant to regulations and conditions prescribed by the Council;
- Review and comment on all budgets, appropriation requests and grant applications concerning the Council, prior to their submission to the Secretary of Health and Human Resources or the Governor; and
- Develop programs and projects on matters pertaining to women in the Commonwealth and the nation through public-private partnerships.
If you are interested in contacting the Virginia Council of Women, you may do so at the following addresses:
Virginia Council on Women
1111 E. Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219
firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: (804) 786-2441