This week in a social media post, PFLAG of Hampton Roads announced the establishment of a scholarship program for LGBTQIA youth. The PFLAG of Hampton Roads scholarship will offer multiple $1,000 scholarships for the 2020-21 academic year, to be used for post-secondary education.
According to the application materials, PFLAG established this scholarship program to “reward outstanding LGBTQIA students who have thrived in the face of adversity, and to inspire our next generation of leaders in Hampton Roads.”
Completed applications are due March 15, with winners to be announced on May 15. Eligibility, application requirements and important dates are included below. For the full announcement, including an FAQ page, visit PFLAG of Hampton Roads scholarship page HERE.
• Must be a self-identified member of the LGBTQIA community
• Must have applied for or are currently attending an accredited post-secondary or vocational institution.
• Must be a resident of the greater Hampton Roads Community at the time of application.
• Must submit a completed scholarship application form along with required supporting materials by the official application submission deadline stated herein.
• Must have satisfied the high school graduation requirements of the Virginia Department of Education.
• The recipient of the scholarship must be willing to participate and speak at any scholarship events sponsored by PFLAG Norfolk/South Hampton Roads.
• Awards will be paid in a check made payable to the student and may only be used for educational expenses (i.e. course registration fees, lab fees, books, university housing, required class materials, etc.)
• All personal information submitted to PFLAG Norfolk/South Hampton Roads will be strictly confidential and will not be shared outside the Scholarship Selection Committee.
• Priority is given to LGBTQIA youth, however, students up to age 30 are eligible to apply.
• Must attend a post-secondary educational institution within one year of being awarded the scholarship.
• Completed application
• Most recent 2 years transcripts and cumulative GPA
• Two recommendation letters
• These items must all be received the Application Due Date.
• APPLICATION AND REFERENCE LETTER DUE DATE: March 15, 2020
• DECISIONS ANNOUNCED: May 15th, 2020
Submit complete applications to:
By E-Mail: PFLAGHRSCHOLARSHIP@GMAIL.COM
By Fax: (929) 259-3517
By Mail: PFLAG Scholarship
931 Shirley Ave
Norfolk, VA 23507