The holiday season officially gets underway next week and area businesses and organizations are ramping up their yearly efforts to help those less fortunate and give thanks. The Hampton Roads LGBTQ community is extremely generous, especially during the holidays.
Below is a list of organizations and businesses giving back that can use additional donations of food, toys (and cash) to help make the holiday brighter for many in Hampton Roads.
This list is by no means exhaustive – if you know of a group soliciting donations for the less fortunate, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will publish the details.
- On November 4, Virginia Leatherwomen United held a food drive at the Hershee Bar in Norfolk to support the Food Bank of Southeastern Virginia. To give to the Food Bank, visit their website here.
- Area drag legend Mercedes Douglas and a score of other area queens performed at the Rainbow Cactus and donated their time, fabulousness (and tips) at their “Divas for a Cause” event that will provide area children affected by HIV/AIDS a very festive holiday party.
- Last weekend, the Knight Hawks of Virginia held their “Hornicopia – Baskets a Plenty” underwear night and canned food drive at MJ’s Tavern. If you were unable to make the party, there is a donation bin located at MJ’s Tavern all month.
- Once again Annette and Billy of the Hershee Bar will continue their long tradition of celebrating family and cordially invite you to a buffet Thanksgiving dinner at the Hershee Bar in Norfolk from 4-7 p.m. And, for those that need a break from their family, Hershee’s will be also hosting a Thanksgiving After Party, starting at 9 p.m. with drink specials all night long.
- During the week of Nov. 15-22, the LGBT Life Center will be collecting food donations with a goal of providing full Thanksgiving meals to 300 families in Hampton Roads. More information about what is needed can be found in the adjacent graphic. Contact Clay Porter at 757/640-0929 or via email at email@example.com to arrange to drop off your donation of food.