Last week, the Virginia General Assembly ended the 2020 session, advancing protections for equality for LGBTQ Virginians to Governor Northam for his signature.
While Governor Northam has signed several of the passed bills, four major bills await his signature, including the landmark Virginia Values Act. Under Virginia law, the Governor can add amendments and send bills back to the General Assembly.
Bills waiting to be signed by the Governor:
- Virginia Values Act (SB 868), landmark bipartisan non-discrimination legislation.
- SB 657 and HB 1041 – Removes unnecessary and invasive requirements that prohibit many transgender residents from correcting the gender marker on their birth certificate.
- SB 246 – Adds a non-binary gender marker option on state driver’s licenses and IDs for transgender, non-binary and gender non-conforming Virginians.
- HB 1429 – Prohibits a health insurance carrier from denying or limiting coverage to a transgender individual.
Bills Governor Northam has signed into law:
- A bill that requires the Department of Education to develop and make available policies regarding the treatment of transgender students in primary and secondary schools.
- A bill that prohibits state-licensed health care providers from engaging in the dangerous, discredited practice of so-called “conversion therapy” with minors.
- A bill that requires the reporting of hate crimes based on sexual orientation and gender identity along with other protected characteristics.
If you want to send Governor Northam an email urging him to sign the aforementioned bills, the Human Rights Campaign has set up an online email campaign. Click the button below to send a message.