For the past six years, transgender and non-binary Virginians have come together in Richmond with friends, family members, and allies for the Transgender Information & Empowerment Summit (TIES).
This year, the 7th Annual TIES is going digital to protect the health and safety of everyone who loves TIES. We are excited for the new possibilities and greater access this format presents, including the first time TIES has occurred over the course of multiple days! This year, the conference takes place from Wednesday, October 14 through Saturday, October 17 from 12:00-8:00pm every day.
“During one of the most transformative years of our lifetime, highlighted by the COVID-19 pandemic and nationwide uprisings for Black lives, we believe the power of community has never been more clear,” said Equality Virginia in a press release. “TIES offers an opportunity to foster that community by learning from and with each other in a safe and welcoming space.”
TIES is a free conference that exists to connect and empower transgender, non-binary, and gender nonconforming Virginians of all ages as well as family members, partners, and allies to strengthen the trans community across Virginia! Make sure to check out the full program and start planning your days at the conference.
The Summit offers numerous opportunities to expand networks, learn from experts, and create safe spaces.
- Social events and networking opportunities to connect one-on-one or all together with conference attendees.
- Dozens of diverse workshops that cover a range of topics from health insurance to racial justice to voting rights, and so much more. Click here to read the full descriptions.
- Four powerful keynotes from Black trans community leaders and advocates, including Miss Major Griffin-Gracy! Click here to read the full descriptions.
- Legal clinic providing free assistance with the name and gender marker change process. Sign up coming soon!
- Wellness center where you can talk for free with a trans-affirming mental health or medical provider to ask questions and find resources. You must sign up for an appointment by Tuesday, October 13.
- Programming for trans and gender expansive youth, and family members and allies.
- Interpretation in Spanish available for selected workshops, and American Sign Language available upon request. All TIES sessions will have closed captioning.